Baby Settler Blog
How to Navigate The Fourth Trimester with a Postpartum Plan
The postpartum period can be hard, really hard. It isn’t all rainbows and butterflies. I look back on the postpartum period after my first baby, and you know what? It saddens me to think back on it. I felt isolated, frustrated, trapped, worried, and exhausted. I also felt alone, which made me wonder… “How in the world can I feel so alone when I have a wonderfully supportive husband and family?,” which only added to the loneliness I was feeling. I remember thinking to myself, “All I’m ever going to do is breastfeed, change diapers, and try to get my baby to go to sleep so I can sleep.” But then, I couldn’t sleep. Even when my baby was asleep… my mind was racing.
Before I share the 7 steps to a successful postpartum plan, I want to give you a few extra tips that’ll help support you during the immediate postpartum period.
1. Go see a pelvic floor physical therapist. Have you ever heard of this? They specialize in pelvic floor rehabilitation. I did not see one until baby # 3, and that is because I didn’t “know” about them! Whether you’ve had a natural vaginal delivery with no interventions, or whether you’ve had an emergency c-section with all the interventions…. A pelvic floor physical therapist will only be beneficial to your overall health and wellbeing!
2. If you’re thinking about breastfeeding, it’s important to educate yourself about what to expect. Taking a breastfeeding course will help you feel confident and empowered to start your breastfeeding journey. The Baby Settler Breastfeeding Made Simple course will help you Confidently make decisions when it comes to breastfeeding your child.
What Led Me To Develop a Postpartum Plan for Mamas:
So often we are told to create a birth plan, to focus on the birth of the child rather than what comes afterwards. However, in so many ways, the fourth trimester can be harder than the preceding three, and childbirth combined. After navigating it on my own, I knew from my expertise and experience that there had to be a better way.
Having had the honor of helping families with all things birth, babies, and breastfeeding, I realized there was a huge gap in education and support for parents. I started an in-home consulting business in Charleston, SC in order to begin to close this gap. To help even more families navigate postpartum, I expanded to virtual consultations. And then I realized I could support many more families if I were to share the same information through online courses.
And that’s why the Baby Settler Foundational Courses were born.
What Goes Into a Postpartum Plan?
To have a happy and healthy fourth trimester, it’s vital to plan for support and make your plan a priority.
1. You need to sleep.
2. You need to eat good, nutritious food that makes you FEEL good!
3. Exercise and Vitamin D (the good ol’ sunshine + a supplement of Vitamin D).
4. Make time for yourself (without your baby) every.single.day.
5. Don’t let your mind take you too far into the future.
6. Talk about your thoughts and feelings with your partner.
7. Be honest with your OB providers.
You can craft your own plan even if you aren’t a postpartum expert.
With my free tutorial, I walk you through seven simple steps to create a plan tailored to your fourth trimester. I’ve even thrown in an easy to use template to make this as stress free and fun as possible. So grab your favorite pen, a journal, and your partner. Get cozy. And create your own postpartum plan!
You’ve got this MaMa!
Do you know how to properly prepare formula? What about if you need to supplement formula along with feeding breastmilk? Do you know how to navigate that? If not, I’m about to give you my recommendations and hopefully answer a lot of your questions!...
There is so much to prepare when you’re awaiting the birth of your new baby. You’re reading books and blogs (if this is your first time to Baby Settler, welcome!), nesting by getting the baby things ready, and exploring names and their meanings. If you’re planning on...
Are you getting ready to welcome your second baby into the world? It’s an exciting time and you might be getting prepared for your new bundle of joy with a baby shower, getting a nursery ready, and cleaning off all the newborn accessories you used for your first...
Find me on Instagram for daily support
My Amazon Shop
Write a Review
Terms & Conditions