If you google “hospital bag checklist,” you’ll be sure to find plenty of “must have” recommendations. While most of those recommendations will be helpful, here’s the one recommendation you might not hear.
Pack your Cord Blood and Cord Tissue Collection kit from Cord Blood Registry. Why, you ask? I want to share my thoughts on this as a seasoned Labor & Delivery nurse, but also, as a mama of three.
If you know “Baby Settler,” you know I’m always about the WHY! It’s a question I’ve been asking since I was two years old (seriously, ask my mom!). And it’s a question you should always be asking, especially when it comes to health and wellness.
Why should you consider preserving your baby’s cord blood?
Cord blood and cord tissue can ONLY be collected at birth. They both contain powerful stem cells that can be used in the future for medical conditions such as certain cancers and Sickle Cell Anemia (with continued research as to how these cells can be used for treatments!). You literally have one opportunity to collect them. Hence, why it’s on the hospital bag checklist! (*If you do forget your kit, be sure to ask your hospital if they happen to have an extra one! Or just tell that baby to stay in your belly a little longer so you can run home and get it. Obviously, I’m kidding here.)
What’s so special about Cord Blood Registry? It’s the #1 OB recommended private stem cell preservation company. In addition, it’s the #1 choice for expecting parents. Over 1 million parents have stored their baby’s newborn stem cells with CBR. They are the leader in their industry!
Here’s why I personally promote Cord Blood Registry. They are dedicated to education! CBR wants you to know about (and understand) what newborn stem cell collection and storage is all about. They, like me, believe “knowledge is power!” CBR wants you to feel educated and empowered to make the best decision for your family! They do this by investing in their educators who are then able to invest back in you! These educators will take the time to explain what cord blood preservation is, and they will answer all your questions! If you don’t educate yourself, how can you be sure you’re making the best decision for your family?
I know, you’ve already got a ton on your “to do” list…I get it! Here’s how cord blood preservation with CBR works in 5 Simple Steps:
- You can enroll online or call to speak with a specialist (*Do this by 32 weeks! Sometimes babies come earlier than expected…remember, you’ve only got one chance to collect cord blood).
- Your collection kit is shipped directly to you! Once you get it, go ahead, and put it in your hospital bag!
- Once you get to the hospital for “go time,” pull the kit out and hand it to your labor nurse or OB provider. They’ll know what to do.
- After that first “golden hour” (after delivery), call the medical courier to come pick the kit up from you. Once you make the call, they’ll find their way to you! (*don’t worry about having to give directions, etc.).
- CBR takes it from here! They’ll notify you once they’ve received the kit.
While cord blood preservation is a personal decision, it’s really important that you know and understand what it’s all about so you can make the BEST (most informed) decision for you and your family! I hope you’ll take the time to educate yourself, understand the why, and prioritize what’s important to you!